Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Unconquered?

I went to see Stellar Quines production of Torben Betts The Unconquered last night. As I read the brief blurb about the play, I could tell it was going to be one of those pieces of theatre that reminded me of the plays we did at Uni*, i.e. ‘experimental’ and ‘challenging’. This can sometimes also be a euphemism for c**p – but on this occasion it wasn’t.

Unlike many of these pieces, it had a story line, not a particularly pleasant one, but a story nonetheless. It had a very effective set, part cartoon line drawings, with the framework of a house off kilter. The colours were predominantly black and white, with splashes of red. The images were striking and the language rhythmic, with many lines repeated over and over until they were stuck in your head.

I read that Stellar Quines main focus is to promote the work of Scottish women, and I’d therefore assessed them to be a feminist company, but I found this to be a profoundly anti-feminist play. The mother never rebels, and is rejected, the rebellious daughter is utterly, and fatally, subdued. It was actually quite moving at the end, but not a comfortable viewing experience. There were moments of black humour, but again the laughter was never comfortable.

Unlike Guys and Dolls, I can’t say ‘I enjoyed it’. That sort of statement is too trite for this type of play. Its there to be experienced, to be felt. In many ways it made me angry, made me want to say ‘stop’, to step in and change the characters actions, and then it made me think about it afterwards. I’m glad I saw it, I need to see more plays of this type, as it also challenges me, and my tendency to see theatre which is predictable – often because I’ve seen the play so many times before.

Finally, here's what The Stage made of it. I read it before I saw it, and have to admit the review didn't make much sense until I'd seen the play!

*We did quite a few plays that I dissuaded friends from coming to see as ‘you won’t like it’.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

I had a very similar feeling of wanting to get up and stop what a character was doing, change their viewpoint, yesterday when I watched Sing Yer Heart Out For The Lads. I certainly didn't love the play, it was relentless and unforgiving and (in places) slightly obvious. But I did feel what it was saying and it certainly made me think. Which I think is very much something theatre should do.

 
At 3:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi
i was lokking for the ruby slippers and i saw the one's you have and i was wondering if u could tell me where did u buy them or the the tradename plis

im sorry for my english i hope u understand

 

Post a Comment

<< Home