Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

You can't get autoroute for this!

I spent Saturday morning mind mapping with a couple of friends. A couple of us have done this infrequently* over the last few years, and found it quite useful, particularly if there’s a lot going on in your life, and you’re having trouble prioritising, or if you’ve come to some sort of ‘crossroads’ and don’t know where to go next. Somehow just getting it down on paper helps to clear the head – at least, I hope so – and makes you realise just how much there is going on in life, and where the pressures are coming from.

Basically you brainstorm everything that’s going on in different areas of your life – job, family, health, social, house, holidays etc, and get down on paper all the things that you need to tackle, or sometimes just a ‘wish list’ of things you want to do, and then you look at how things interlink and connect. Then you think about priorities, and targets – which I hate, as I’m really bad at deadlines – but it does make you focus.

Anyhow, my ‘map’ was pretty full, and made me realise that I do have to prioritise, and I can’t do everything at once. We’ve agreed to meet up regularly to review how things are going, the first time at Easter. In the past, I’ve been able to look back and see that I actually achieved most of the things I set out to do. I hope I’ll be able to say the same this time.


*When I say ‘infrequently’, it’s probably a couple of years since we last sat down and did this

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home