Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Off to see the Wizard

Quite a few months ago, I first mentioned the 'Off to Oz' nights that the WYP were having, as being my main motivation for buying the ruby slippers (not that I needed much of an excuse!)

Finally, last Wednesday, the day came around, and I was just a little bit excited about this - ok, I sort of planned the day around my preparations.

I was a little surprised when walking into the theatre not to see very many people in costume, and for all of, well, a few moments, I felt a bit conspicuous, but that soon passed, and I was posing for photos (I did have a hat, but it was a bit small, and kept falling off, particularly when I tried to swoosh around quickly - well, a cloak like that one demands space).

There was a bit of confusion about who I was until I flashed the legs ('ah, the Wicked Witch of the East'!) - I should really have had a dark wig, as it seemed the blonde hair suggested Glinda, whereas, quite clearly, I was wicked! Trouble is, I was enjoying myself so much, I couldn't stop grinning, so didn't actually look that menacing - my 'sister' (above) was much more convincing.

The cloak was a bit of a hazard in getting to my seat, and it got stood on quite a few times, but no way was I taking it off. While the performance was billed as 'singalong', we only got the words to songs like 'Follow the Yellow Brick Road', and 'Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead', so weren't encouraged to singalong to others.

I really enjoyed the probuction - an excellent set, and some very good performances. We saw the understudy 'Dorothy' who was very good. And Martin Callaghan stood out in all the roles he played - genius comic timing, that man!

Afterwards we sat in the bar and took more photos (and I swooshed a bit more!). It was all quite fabulous.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home