Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Saturday, December 30, 2006

'Come on!'

I went shopping at Monks Cross today, it was unseasonably mild (which I was glad about, I hate winter) but wandering through the crowds of sale shoppers reminded me of that day three years ago yesterday when Corinne and I rolled up at Monks Cross after a traumatic journey from 'Boro*, and still about two hours ahead of Griffin, on what became known as 'single signing day'.

That day it all still seemed possible, and we were all caught up in the excitement of the first single release, and the build up to the charts on the Sunday. I know I felt that success was there, in his grasp, and it was only a short time before he'd be playing much larger venues, and whole crowds would be singing his songs back at him. But we're all older now.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Griffin 'Christmas gig'. The venues seem to be getting smaller. This time he was playing in the upstairs room of a pub in York (I joked that it's about the closest he'll ever play to my house unless he books my front room next year!). It wasn't the greatest of venues, the chairs were out, as usual, but not for everyone, so many of us were standing by the bar or at the back. I couldn't see much in the first half, but it didn't really matter, I could hear just fine.

It was a gig that is almost better in hindsight than in reality. I would say he sounded great, and most of the time he did, but there were a few duff notes that suggested a bit more rehearsal would have been in order, and I'm afraid I no longer find the home spun and amateur approach as endearing as I once did. And I could do without most of the 'comedy interludes'.

But, and it's a big but, there were still moments that touched me. I guess there always will be. As I said much earlier this year, a lot of us have also travelled this road, and so to hear songs like 'Oblivion' and 'Feeling Alive' triggers memories which will always be so very special. He sang 'Bring it On' for what he said was the last time, even allowing us to contribute our own special 'come on'**. There was also a beautiful rendition of 'Patience'.

What will the next year bring, I wonder? I really don't know, but I guess I'll be around for at least some of it. Happy New Year, Griffin.

*Each time I'm in the vicinity of Hill Street Car Park, I curl my lip at it, and I've never parked there since!
**part of the lore of the ND

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home