Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, July 31, 2006

So, just how do you buckle a swash? (slight spoiler alert)

I went to see the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie yesterday, and have mixed views on it. I normally love a bit of swashbucking, with pirates and big frocks. I can’t fault the scenery – John Depp and Orlando Bloom in the same movie, can’t be bad, and I have to admit to a soft spot for Jack Davenport – but it did feel very much like ‘part one, of two’ in that it seemed to take a long time to get going, the plot was pretty thin (with rather too much slime for my liking – yeucch!), with a few ‘set piece’ action sequences which seemed to add little to the story line, and seemed to be purely there for comedy value and to gloss over the plot holes. I’d like to have seen the triangle of Jack/Elizabeth/Will developed further and I didn’t cry for Jack, as he’s clearly going to be back in the next film.

As for the script, well, it wasn’t a patch on any of the last series of Dr Who.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home