Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Friday, May 12, 2006

Pemberley


Last night I stayed near the village of Disley in Cheshire, in a lovely hotel ovelooking the rolling hills. Yes, I know I don't want to live in the country, but I can admire a view.

What I hadn't realised was that Disley is also where Lyme Park is, and sadly I didn't have time to go and view 'Pemberley' and the lake where Mr Darcy went for a swim*. If I'd have realised I'd have driven over earlier yesterday and gone for a look round. I love visiting stately homes, it's that history thing again, and yes, in my head I'm wearing a posh frock, with a few servants at my beck and call. Well, I've wandered round Castle Howard thinking myself in Brideshead Revisited in the past.

*we all know it isn't in the book, but it is the enduring image from the BBC adaptation

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keira's rain-soaked folly moment wasn't in the book either, and as I remember you took a rather dim view of that! no one ever said you couldn't be fickle though ;-) just how long will you resist the call of the NT membership though?

Cx

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lyme Park is lovely to wander round and they have often had costumes from the BBC production to view!
Recently went to "Netherfield" from the recent film {Basildon Park} and enjoyed standing on the balcony where the Bennet girls stood ... imagination is a wonderful thing as I was standing there with them, in costume, and a few dresses sizes down!!!!!!
NT membership well worth it ... go on you know you want to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home