Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Blonde vs The Badger

Well, The Apprentice has finished, and Michelle was hired. I can't say I was surprised as I thought it was heading that way last week. Alan Sugar seemed to have spotted something in her that he liked, and a lot of it seemed to be about the fact that she had worked her way up from being a check out girl in Kwik Save in Hull!

This week had the two finalists organising simultaneous events on Tower Bridge, Michelle going for a 'Bond' evening, and Ruth for a Murder Mystery. Neither idea seemed particularly innovative to me, 'Bond' as a theme has made me groan since I worked in costume, and it was such a common party theme, and whilst I love a Murder Mystery, I'm not sure that venue was suited to the idea. But, clearly Londoners have more money to splash around than we do up north, and they managed to sell most of their tickets. Ruth was much more successful in this area, as Michelle's efforts were almost shafted by Syed's arrogance, and bickering in the team. But, in the end, this time it wasn't really about the task, it was about who he wanted.

As a series, it's been pretty addictive, with a very diverse bunch of characters, and it's made good television. And that is really what it's all about. Run a selection programme without the tv involvement, and you wouldn't have had this group, many of whom would have been chosen because they had strong personalities, which would bring the inevitable conflicts. For the candidates, it's given them exposure, and they know what they are setting themselves up for.

I wouldn't do it in a million years, though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home