Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The long and winding road

No, this isn't more about the Beatles! This weekend I was in Middlesbrough on Sunday night for a gig.

I guess I'd been to Middlesbrough about twice in my life before a certain November day in 2003. That day I saw Brain Clough and Alistair Griffin switch on the Christmas lights, and saw Alistair perform live for the first time. The road has been long, and full of unexpected twists and turns since then, and has taken me to parts of the country I never thought I'd visit - and a few I'm in no rush to go back to (that'd be Harlow and Swindon then). The state of my poor little car bears witness to this.

On Sunday night I was back in Middlesbrough again to see Alistair perform at a Brian Clough memorial gig in the town hall, as they are trying to raise enough money to put up a statue to Cloughie.

For almost two years after the release of the album, we had only one new song, and now they're coming thick and fast, with more added at almost every gig. And I find this really encouraging as well as exciting, They seem to be a mix of rocky numbers that make you want to jump around like an idiot (and I'm pretty sure that's what I must look like, but I don't care) and slower songs that gently break your heart, although one of my current favourites, Hallelujah, isn't actually one of his own songs, I just think it is perfect for his voice.

Nearly 3 years on, although the inital magic has long since faded, his voice still catches me in a way that I can't describe. He's one of a very few singers whose voice can make me cry, and who makes me just stop and listen. I don't know where this road is going now, any more than I did at the beginning, and perhaps his, and mine will diverge at some point, but it's been one hell of a journey, and one I don't regret for a minute. For a long time now, though, it hasn't been 'all about Al' but also about some very special people I've met along the way.

Ladies of the Northern Division - I salute you and I *heart* all of you

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww Val, that was lovely, made me go all shivery. Here's to the future.
I heart you all too. x

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Nic said...

*salutes* James salutes, it must be good.

I love you all too.

P.S - When you say ladies of the ND, does that mean you don't love the boy? :P

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Val said...

Awww, I do love the boy too (I forgot him for a moment, I confess it)- he can be an honorary lady for the purposes of this post!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

Val - you nearly made me cry!

I heart you all.

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, very eloquent Val I "heart" you all and thanks for some really special times along the Long and Winding road!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home