Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Saturday, May 06, 2006

I love a love story

SPOILER ALERT - Don't read this if you haven't watched tonight's episode of Dr Who!

Just how much am I enjoying this series! It has become essential viewing, so much so that if anyone rings me while it's on, I don't think they'll get an answer. The last two episodes have both reduced me to a snivelling wreck at the end. I love the quirkiness, and the humour of it, and the fact that it works on so many levels.

Tonight's episode was great, as it played with time, and 'magic doors' between the 51st Century and the 18th. So, finally the robots were easily defeated, and not that scary (though many people are scared by masks) but it was the 'love story' that caught me. OK, purists might say that that's not what Dr Who is about, but I loved it.

What I also love, is David Tennant's performance. He seems to be a Doctor that we've never seen before with very 'human' emotions, both last week and this week, and what they are really starting to bring out is the loneliness of the Time Lord, who has never truly allowed himself to connect with anyone. But, it seems that in this series, he is. With Rose, with Sarah Jane, and with Madame de Pompadour.

And, as this is me, it also had very fab frocks - oh how I would love to flounce around in one of those.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

Thank you for your spoiler warning - I was working last night so haven't seen the episode yet! I will return when I have!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

Ok I'm back and all I can say is *sniff*

I loved it [ooo the dresses], loved David, loved the writing and most of all loved where they seem to be taking this Dr. I just didn't expect to cry two weeks running *rolls eyes*

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree totally, I love the mercurial nature of the DT doctor, he can make you laugh out loud, sob unrestrainedly, and still has that underlying menace which means you wouldn't want to make an enemy of him [the swimming pool scene in School reunion was evidence of that].
This script was fabulous too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home