Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, April 20, 2006

What's it all about?

So, having proudly declared myself as a 'Theatre snob', I thought I'd better set out the rules:

The Rules of Theatre Snobbery

  • Theatre is an Event, therefore always dress up (exceptions can be made when making a last minute decision to attend and having all your shopping with you)
  • Always buy a programme - those biogs have to be read
  • A theatrical performance is not a gig, therefore whooping is discouraged, but is allowable in the curtain call, similarly banners are frowned upon
  • A standing ovation should be bestowed rarely it - it is a thing to be treasured, unless of course the trade in signs saying 'I'm standing for...'* takes off
  • Whilst some theatres now allow this, taking alcoholic drinks into the auditorium should be frowned upon
  • Stage dooring is perfectly acceptable, and in some cases almost obligatory - actors like to be told how good they were
  • 'Post mortums' on the show should continue for most of the journey home
  • No one should need to leave the auditorium for the loo during the performance if they are more than 5 years old
  • Use of mobile phones is an absolute no no, as is the taking of photographs during the performance

NB these rules are not exhaustive, and may be added to as and when I think of another.

*I'm indebted to Corinne for this idea**

**Is the standing ovation primarily a musical theatre thing? I think I've stood for shows about 6 times in my life until seeing more muscials over the last couple of years (or maybe that should be, seeing some musicals a lot) when the audience seem to get to their feet as a matter of course.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

How I wish a copy of those rules were handed out along with the tickets; life would be so much easier for all involved. And I'd spend less time opening doors to allow people to go to the loo.

On the standing ovation front, I worked my first standing ovation last Saturday (which, in seven months, probably goes to show how rare they are - or, more worryingly, how rubbish our shows are). I felt quite emotional about it, I must confess (I'd have stood myself, albeit with a card saying 'I am standing for both Richards and the cumulative merit of seven hours of Shakespeare' *rolls eyes*)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home