Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Meeting the Military

It all began when we saw the Robin Hood’s Bay Victorian Weekend advertised when we were in Scarborough. It had the magic words ‘visitors are encouraged to come in costume’, so we were sold. It turns out it’s the 16th year – how come I haven’t known about this before?

Of course, encouraging people to dress up doesn’t mean they will. But being aware that this could turn into another ‘Pirates at WYP’ event, where the only people in costume were us and the cast, wasn’t likely to put us off. Give me a costume, and I’m in character.

The selection of costumes available was a bit limited, as there is a bit of a rush on Victoriana come Christmas-time, so I ended up wearing the same skirt that I’d worn in the play, and its matching jacket*, with ‘Lady Bracknell’s’ hat, and a short velvet cape. J chose the pin stripe suit last seen on Cat’s lady archaeologist at the murder mystery.

Arriving in the car park on Saturday morning, there was a distinct lack of Victorians around. I shrugged my shoulders, put my hat on, and we headed for a coffee shop, which was advertising a Victorian quiz. The staff were in costume, but no one else was. Hmmm!

As we walked down the hill into the village, we finally spotted some other people in costume. Yes, some of the costumes were a bit Am Dram chorus (what? I’m a theatre snob!), but at least they had made an effort.

After that the Victorians were everywhere. What we found is that people in costume are quite happy to talk to other people in costume. Most couldn’t believe that we’d not been before, yet had actually turned up in costume. I won a bottle of wine on the tombola (oh yes!), which I then had to carry round, and which caused quite a few comments.

We encountered a couple of soldiers outside the pub. They explained that they came every year, hired a cottage for the weekend, and brought a range of different costumes. They told us how they’d researched their costumes, hey, they’d even grown the authentic facial hair. What’s not to love?

We spent a wonderful few hours, taking photos, posing for photos, and pitying those who were too bashful to dress up. We went round the open houses, most of which were beautiful holiday cottages.

Of course, this all just set my mind racing. A weekend, spent in costume, in a lovely little cottage, with pubs and cafes to hand. I know what I want to do next December. Anyone want to join me?

*Yes, I did complain that it wasn’t quite in period

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home