Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Breaking the silence

I haven’t watched the webcam for years. The last time Griffin played at the Bedford, I was there (I think – it’s a long time since I knew such things so precisely). Once upon a time, I would have felt such heartache that I wasn’t there tonight. Now, do I wish I was there? Not really, though it is the Bedford, and that’s a bit special - and I’d like to be with friends, as Corinne, Dean and Director Boy are there, but I can appreciate the music on line.

The set list is the one I’ve heard over the last few gigs, with one addition, and performed acoustically. Naked is slow, and beautiful, and I love it like this, noting all the lyrics. So much of the magic has faded, but I wonder if I will ever tire of the sound of his voice. Somehow, listening remotely, sitting in my kitchen with only the cat for company, I can appreciate it without distractions.

About halfway through the set comes the comment about how quiet people are, and an attempt at a ‘joke’ about a badger, ‘anything to break the silence’. I think he could put up a banner and no one would notice. It falls flat, and he gives up, and just keeps singing. I’ve Lived is next. I sing along loudly in the kitchen. I couldn’t do that in the Bedford.

The final song is Silent Suicide, as I’d expected. I love it, and again, I’m singing along (at this point the cat has retreated back to the sofa, she’s a harsh critic).

It’s been an odd experience, doing this again, but it has lifted me after a pretty cr***y day at work, and that has to be good.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely Val x

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

I love that I've got a parallel narrative to my evening here! (erm, maybe a sign I'm spending far too much time analysing narrative structures!)

I will have to do a blog about this (when I've had time to think a bit, I suspect) but - oh, 'Naked', I agree entirely. It reminded me chronically of the first time that he sang 'Oblivion' slowed down.

[and I was singing along to 'I've Lived' too ;-) ]

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Director Boy said...

corinne, Dean, and Director Boy??? Or am I not friendship material? x

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Val said...

I'm so sorry! I wrote it before I realised you were there too - of course you're included (go see)- I'd be interested to know what you made of it all! x

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Director Boy said...

LOL... I tease :-)

I enjoyed... but mainly from a 'isnt it nice to go to live music in our local' kind of a way.
I found the audience scarey to say the least... esspecially when everyone got out cameras and started filming, whilst still looking like the children from the village of the dambed (but all grown up).

Griffin had a lovely voice, and whilst it was hard to get blown over by him at that particular gig, I can start to see the stalking potential.

Interesingly I quite fancied the german geek with the galsses from the second act, and dean was more smitten with the floppy haired english bloke who was up first... thats if you watched the supporting bands?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home