Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Friday, February 15, 2008

Not the best way to spend the weekend

The last time I wrote, I was anticipating a very hectic week. It was another of those ‘thousand mile’ weeks, and by last Friday night I was exhausted, having not only worked every day, driven for hours, but also having been out most evenings.

The weekend was to be set aside for catching up with things, looking at computers (for yes, I have finally decided that this one needs to go before I actually do throw it out of the window) and possibly a walk.

What I wasn’t anticipating was agonising pain last Friday night, which led to me ringing the emergency doctors in the middle of the night, and spending most of Saturday in hospital. Having been told first to drive there - ‘erm, no, I don’t think I can!’ (what part of ‘agonising’ do you not understand?) – and then told to get a taxi, K&V were absolute stars and took me in.

I’ve never been an in patient before, and I didn’t realise how noisy hospitals are. York Hospital is even more so, as it backs onto the railway line – if the hospital noise doesn’t wake you up, then the Scarborough train will!

They also assume that you know how things work – I didn’t, which meant I didn’t manage to get any food while I was there. By the time I went home, I wasn’t sure if the pain was returning, or it was hunger pangs, but I certainly wasn’t going to tell them, or remind them that they were going to do blood tests, as they might have decided to keep me there. As I was drugged up, they let me go home at 4 O’clock. All I wanted by that time was my own bed, and sleep. I slept most of Sunday too.

Unfortunately it does probably mean that I will have to go back again, as I don’t think it’s going to go away without some action.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home