Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Handbag Walks Part 4 & 5


Yes, I’ve been a little lax in updating. Lets call it life, eh?

Well, there was definitely a change between last week and this week weather-wise. Last week, it was hot and sunny, and, as I set out without any suncream (I know!), I got burnt. Our walk took us to Nunnington, and Nunnington Hall. It was glorious, and we did about 5 miles, along the river, watching the paddling cows, past a poppy field, over the hill, and along an ancient trackway. As we arrived back in Nunnington we cut through a field with a mare and foal, and managed to get chased by them, somehow letting the foal into the church yard, with mum on the other side of the fence. Now, I’m not good with horses, but I’m probably a bit better than V. Those country genes may be deeply buried, but they come out eventually, so I finally managed to get the foal back through the gate by giving it a sharp tap on the rump.

After that, we deserved lunch at the hall, and I rounded off the day by buying a piece of furniture at the design studio in the village. You can’t say our walks aren’t different.

This week, it was raining so heavily there was no chance of taking a walk. Indeed, we are ‘fair weather’ walkers. So, of course, the solution was ‘lunch’! Or rather, it would have been, apart from the fact that I got a call from V just as I was about to enter the Dormouse.

‘I’ve broken down’
‘Where are you?’
‘At the petrol station’

V had got a new car the previous day, and it had decided to give up on her, and wouldn’t start again after she’d filled it with petrol. So I headed over to join her, and we sat in the car waiting for the Green Flag man, who, because the weather was so awful, didn’t come for an hour and a half. Well, at least we were able to read the Edinburgh Fringe brochure. When he finally arrived, thankfully, instead of all the dire problems we were imagining it was a simple problem. Flat battery. Rather than risk it again, we dropped her car at home, and I drove to the pub. I think we had lunch about 4pm.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home