Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, January 28, 2007

But I know what I like

I have a bit of a problem with modern art. I mean, to me, the impressionists are modern, and I only really 'got' them after a trip to the Musee D'Orsay four years ago. I pretty much like my art to be representational, or at least a fairly recognisable depiction of something.

Yet when Cat said that the new Mima was opening yesterday, with fireworks, and the offer of champagne, it sounded good to me. As it was we missed the fireworks, and had to queue to get in - but as a hardened 'queuer', it didn't seem too long, although I could have done without the large scene showing a film of a footballer which was supposed to be art. It's a beautiful building, with clean white lines and lots of glass which fills the place with light.

I did enjoy some of the first exhibition 'Draw' (which, perhaps unsurprisingly was drawings - by one famous painter paired with another modern artist). There are just some bits of modern art I don't get - one exhibit was a piece of black elastic, pinned the length of a wall by two drawing pins - at first I was looking for where the art work was! There were some Picasso drawings, one called Weeping Woman, where I just thought, 'I'd be weeping if I looked like that'!

But, there were others that I really liked (ok, they were the ones that did look like something) and I loved a huge piece by DJ Simpson, which filled one of the rooms. And I think it's great that 'Boro has such a fabulous space. It looks like it has a nice cafe too! But I really think the gift shop needs development - some lovely 'arty' (and expensive) things, but no pens!

Also, did I mention it has a really good fountain?!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home