Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, November 23, 2009

The Hundred Days

Thanks to Corinne, I was made aware of One Hundred Days To Make Me A Better Person. Well, I guess we could all do with a bit of that, so I wondered what I could sign up for.

I wanted to find something which would give me a challenge, with an element of self improvement, but also something which, if I'm honest, I have a chance of sticking to, even on those days where work takes over.

The other week I had to admit to myself that I've never read the Complete Works of Shakespeare, at least not all of the Sonnets, and the longer poems, (and this was in the face of the fact that I have two friends who have read the whole of the Bible!), so my first thought was that I would challenge myself to read the rest of the poems.

But to be frank, this was a bit too easy. As I'd started thinking about poetry, I then began to think about all the poets and poems I've never read. Romantic poets, modern poets, there are so many out there. And this had the right element of self improvement. I may decide that I like some poets and not others, but I will be expanding my knowledge.

So, my pledge is, from 1 December, for one hundred days, I will read a new poem every day. I am open to suggestions as to what, or who, I should read (otherwise you just know the 20th Century isn't going to get much of a look in, apart from when I decide to read a few poems about cats), just please don't anyone suggest that I read the whole of The Prelude in a day. A couple of pages long please, at most.

I'll let you know what I discover, who I like (and who I don't), and how I get on.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Shona said...

I'd suggest a few from Wendy Cope - off to think which one unless you've read loads.
Sx

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

I LOVE this! Off the top of my head may I suggest -

"Do not go gentle into that good night" (ah, DT...)

"She walks in Beauty" (short, romantic Byron!)

"You're beautiful" Simon Armitage

Pretty much anything by Carol Ann Duffy.

Anything from 'Birthday Letters' by Mr Ted Hughes.

And something by Plath (maybe 'Full Fathom Five' for obvious reasons!)

'The Love Song of Alfred J Prufrock' TS Eliot. [Not a Val poem I suspect but it changed poetry forever so cannot be ignored!].

I shall be back to throw more suggestions at you!

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Val said...

Thanks both for the recommendations so far. Don't know Wendy Cope, Shona, so will seek her out.

Corinne - I knew you'd approve (and I was expecting Byron, Hughes, Plath and Armitage), all have been added to 'the list'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home