Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

I used to do this for a living, sometimes I wish I still did

I’m trying to sort out costumes for the play. We have NO budget, which makes things difficult. I borrowed a few things for our photoshoot last week, some of which weren’t quite of the right period, but when you haven’t got a bunch of stick thin actresses in your cast, you take what they can get into.

Having taken the photos, I realise that we’re not quite right on the date. The play is mainly set in 1913. Some of the costumes are too early. We also have a 1950’s section, which brings its own challenges. I had another trip to costume hire on Saturday. P and I are good at this, having worked together for three years.

‘I need 1913 – and definitely need a wig, my hair is totally wrong for the period’. We agree that I have ‘first refusal’ on the mother’s wigs from The Railway Children when they come back in.

‘I also need to be 1950’s bar maid’. This starts us off. ‘She’s a bit blowsy. I’m thinking early 50’s, pencil skirt rather than full, blouse, heels…’ We start fishing around. There are a few blouses of the right period, but not many that I can get into (‘bl***y actresses, why don’t they eat!’) I fancy red heels. Some are far too nice. I need a belt, so two whole boxes of belts come out.

P finds a beautifully tacky red patent one. It doesn’t match the shoes.

‘Perfect, I think she’s the sort of person who will try, but won’t get things quite right’.

Later I hit the charity shops for a skirt, and buy one a size too small, so that it will be tight. I think it’s going to work.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home