Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Not quite a 'lock in'

(or, the return of the randy milkman)

When I last saw Blood Brothers in December, I admit I was very disappointed. It was the first time that the tour had been back to York since the heady days of December 2005, and it felt tired. We’d only been able to get seats a long way away, and many of the cast seemed quite jaded, and one or two were just not very good*. I was starting to think that I wasn’t bothered about seeing it again, as most of those we’d come to know had moved on, or were in the West End production. Then, about a month ago, I found out that a certain randy milkman had returned to the cast. It’s been two and a half years since we’ve seen him. That’s the long game for you.

Also returning was Tracey, an actress who remains the best Mrs Lyons I’ve seen, (and also the best Mrs Johnstone when I saw her play the part a couple of times). The closest it was coming to us in the near future was Hull**, which had been the first theatre we’d seen it in.

It was so much better than December. We had better seats, and the whole production seemed revitalised. We had a new Nolan, Maureen this time, bringing my Nolan quota for the show to three; an excellent Mickey and Eddie; a new narrator, who was also very good, menacing in a different way to Keith, and the ‘dream cast’ Mr and Mrs Lyons.

All the lesser characters he played were also complete characterisations, even if only on stage for a few moments. The milkman has always been so disappointing when played by others, not having that sparkle which is entirely him.

At the end, of course I cried. MN was incredibly powerful in ‘Tell Me It’s Not True’, and that song just ratchets up the emotion. And, by the third curtain call, I was on my feet. My first standing ovation since DT, but then *this* one is always very different.

Immediately after the show, we headed for the pub. One of our favourite stage door pubs, it has to be said. The first thing to do was put our make up to rights. We arrived back at the bar, and before we’d even got a drink, I saw Cat smile, and turned, and there he was, coming towards us.

And it was great. In his own way, he’s almost as much as a theatre snob as I am, so there was lots of theatre related chat. Wine was drunk, but not too much. It was really good to see him. We finally left the pub with the bar staff, as they wanted to go home.

Suffice to say that the Emergency ‘Tim’ Button is being reinstated.

*Yes, Marti Webb, I mean you!

**Tour next takes in Aberdeen, Dundee, Worthing (all flippin’ miles away) and, finally, in July, Leeds

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home