Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, February 23, 2009

I do have a bit of a thing about vampires*

I am currently loving Being Human on BBC3 (Sunday nights, 9pm, repeated lots of times throughout the week, so you really have no excuse for missing it).

I caught the pilot episode last year, and loved that. It came with good credentials, as the lead writer is Toby Whithouse who wrote ‘School Reunion’, one of my favourite episodes of Series 2 of Doctor Who. I did wonder what they’d make of it for the series, particularly when I read that most of the leads, bar Russell Tovey**, had changed. Having now seen 5 out of the 6 episodes, I think it’s been a change for the better.

Basically it’s the story of a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost who share a house in Bristol. Why Bristol? Who knows. Maybe they’d be less noticeable there! It’s quite dark, well, there’s a lot of death, for one thing, but it’s also very witty. There are sometimes plot holes if you think too deeply about it, but on the whole, it’s very well written.

Of course, the rather gorgeous Aidan Turner, as vampire Mitchell, is a bit of a bonus.

Last night gave us a cliff hanger, and it’s the final episode of the series next week. I’m hoping that they’re going to resolve it in a way that there can be another. I may just cry, otherwise.

*Just ask anyone who knew me through my six series addiction to Buffy the Vampire Slayer
**Best known as a History Boy, but also as the Midshipman in Doctor Who, who finally gave DT’s Doctor the chance to say ‘Allons-y Alonso’.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve and I have been loving this - one of the few things we have made time to sit down and watch. Really hope a second series will be announced soon because I haven't seen/heard a bad word about the series!
love Sx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home