Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, May 05, 2008

The continuing search

Along with my never ending search for Jesus in a snowstorm*, I’m always on the look out for lime vodka, ever since we bought some at a fair in Cheltenham a few years ago. It was the stuff of legend, but it didn’t last long, and I’ve never come across any since.

Looking at the list of vodkas in the bars of Krakow makes me very optimistic. They seem to have all sorts of flavours. In the first ‘tasting’, I try mandarin, which comes in a chilled glass, and is lovely. We then decide to visit the Vodka Bar, which advertises that it has 108 flavours of vodka. We only try two, (well, it is only early evening) but they have the elusive lime vodka. And it is really something special.

Cat asks where we can buy it, and the barman directs us to a shop in the main square. It’s a couple of days before we start the serious search, during which we try other varieties, including cherry, lemon, honey, and just plain vodka. Nothing comes close, though the ‘Polish Flag’** cocktail is pretty special.

When we start the search, every time we ask, we’re offered lemon, and having no idea of the Polish for ‘lime’ try to explain that it’s like lemon, only green. It doesn’t get us far. We are offered a ‘lime infused’ Finlandia, but I’ve tried that, and it’s a very pale imitation.

In our last night, and in the last shop – one of the 24 hour Alkoholes – we’re again offered lemon, or mandarin. I opt for mandarin, as it’s the closest I’m going to get.

The search continues.

*He exists, I saw him once at Milan station. As far as I’m concerned it should probably be a place of pilgrimage!
**vodka and grenadine

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home