Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, March 30, 2008

I’d like to say I won’t get sucked in this time but…

Two reality TV shows have just started. Worse, two BBC reality TV shows, for I realised some time ago that I’m a BBC reality TV snob. I can’t bear all the adverts and the ‘will be revealed after the break’ on ITV. I never did get sucked into Dancing on Ice this year, and didn’t even watch the final, which was on while I was away.

But now we have the new series of The Apprentice (which I have to say much of the time I watch to point and laugh at how inept they are) and the new Nancy and Oliver show I’d Do Anything. Apart from anything else, it means I get to see John Barrowman every Saturday night for the next few weeks (though he does tend to be on every time you turn the telly on).

I’m not keen on the audition shows, but I like to watch once the show proper starts. Of course, I’ve been spoiled by ‘Maria’ and ‘Joseph’, as I picked the winner in both cases. This time, well, I haven’t really any interest in the Olivers, (most of whom seem to be very public school), but looking at the Nancys, I don’t have an obvious winner as yet.

On last night’s showing, I’m supporting Sarah Lark*, as we saw her in Shakespeare for Breakfast at the Fringe last year, and I also like Rachel Tucker, and Francesca Jackson*. All of them are trained professionals, which I think is right and proper. I liked young Jessie from Ireland in the auditions, but thought she went over the top last night, but then again, it was the first show, and she was first out. We’ll see…

*apparently she’s played JB’s daughter on stage!
**though I think she’s hampered rather than aided by the DVO*** factor!
*** Denise Van Outen, obviously

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

On Saturday's night showing I'd have cast Rachel but I do like Sarah a lot.

I am not liking the girl who was in Footballers Wives though Amy had to go if only for the fact that they put her in a dress which made her bottom look the size of Brazil (to borrow a phrase).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home