Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

'This time, it's Personnel'

Slight Spoiler alert again!

Ahh, Christmas TV. Time was, when I was small, I'd mark up the Radio Times with all the programmes I wanted to watch over the fortnight (and this was in the days before videos etc, so you had to watch things when they were on), and then there was the anticipation of what the 'big films' would be. I even remember the first time I saw 'The Wizard of Oz' in my Grandma's front room.

It all seems a long time ago, but the last two years have brought back the 'must see' Christmas programme - the Dr Who Christmas episode. Last year didn't quite have the same build up. We had a new Doctor to get used to, and whilst I'd liked Christopher Eccleston, let's face it, he's no David Tennant. This year, after the emotional trauma of 'Doomsday' (no, still not quite over it) we were waiting to see how the Doctor moved on from the loss of Rose, with the abrupt arrival of 'the bride' in the Tardis. Whilst initially I worried that this was 'stunt casting' of the worst kind, in the end I thought it worked brilliantly. 'Donna' was so different to Rose that the Doctor had no time to wallow in his loss, but had to get on with saving her, and the world, once again. And, I have to admit that I laughed out loud when the Head of HR turned out to be a baddie*.

It was played at a breakneck speed (possibly to stop you noticing the trees in full leaf at 'Christmas'), which made the few quiet moments all the more moving. Damn you, Russell T. Davies, for making me cry on Christmas day. A top left behind, a flash of memory, thoughts of last year's Christmas dinner, and in the final moments, a name.

And now, it does seem possible for the Doctor (and perhaps even more importantly, the audience) to move on, without resenting the newcomer. As Donna said, he does need someone, perhaps just to stop him.

How long is is till the new series?!

*It really does nothing for my professional image, you know - I'm already scary!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home