Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, December 18, 2006

'So if you care to find me, look to the western sky...'

I may have mentioned that at the moment I’m a little obsessed with ‘Wicked’. Well, in a mad moment a few weeks ago, when I was feeling ill and fed up, I found myself on line, and booking a ticket for the only matinee performance that I could get to before the end of December, in the hope that, this time, I would get to see Idina Menzel as Elphaba. And that day came last Wednesday, and I was on a morning train down to London.

I didn’t just head for the theatre, oh no, I also went shopping, and round the National Portrait Gallery* where it was amazing to see all the portraits that I’d only seen in books. All the great and the good (and not so good) were there, including my historical hero, Richard III (situated worryingly close to Henry Tudor, I thought).

And then onto Victoria, and lunch. The first time we’d been to the Apollo Victoria, we’d struggled to find somewhere to eat, so I decided a better scout around was required, in the interests of research. I soon found a variety of Italian, and other, restaurants, all pretty reasonably priced, so there is indeed food to be had in Victoria without going to Wetherspoons! I was also asked by some Australians if they were near Westminster Abbey, and directed them to Buckingham Palace instead.

Following lunch, it was over to the theatre, and to my front row, dress circle, seat. Yes, I’d gone for top price, but thankfully there were no signs up so all looked favourable.

For a midweek matinee, the theatre was pretty full, with only a few empty seats here and there. It was utterly magical once again. I thought Helen Dallimore gave a stronger performance as Glinda, with a greater range of emotions, and her singing voice was spot on. Then, Idina ran on, to cheers and applause** and she was, indeed, fabulous. The build up to the end of Act 1 was incredible, and ‘Defying Gravity’, well, I was stunned. This time the effects worked, and she ‘flew’, and that was just so amazing – it really did appear like she was floating in mid air. I know it’s all smoke and mirrors, but wow!

In Act 2, her more mature, and disillusioned Elphaba just broke your heart. This was a woman who had moved from believing that her future was ‘unlimited’ to the realisation that ‘I’m limited’ *sniff*

Two people sitting alongside me decided to leave during the big Act 2 number ‘No Good Deed’ (grrr, though I managed a very creditable execution of ‘how to get out of your seat and move to let them out without ever taking your eyes off the stage’), so I was able to move a few seats along for the last part of the show, and have a slightly more central view

The only principal cast member who didn’t appear was Adam Garcia, so we had an understudy Fiyero (Oliver Thompsett), apparently the first time he’d played it, but he was excellent.

It was a bit of a mad jaunt, but I don’t regret it one bit. It’s a fabulous show, but…I still haven’t worn the ruby slippers!

*I am gradually visiting all the galleries and museums that I was never taken to when I was young.

** as a Theatre Snob, I don’t believe in applauding people for just walking on stage, before they’ve actually done anything

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home