Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Glorious Moment

Or, rather, the glorious 24 hours or so of theatre, that made this up. I knew when I saw it advertised in the advance booking information about a year ago that I had to go. Yes, it was expensive, (I could have had a decent foreign holiday for the price!) but it was a one off opportunity to see the histories*, in chronological order, in Stratford. I booked so far in advance, that it had always seemed like something in the far future.

I did wonder how many others would be as mad as me, and buy the pass that assured you the same seat for all performances**, and the extras such as drinks vouchers, programmes, brunch, and post show reception. When I went into the Courtyard Theatre for the first time to register, I began to realise that there were a considerable number of us. We were all given a canvas bag, emblazoned with ‘The Histories’ and these bags became a very familiar sight in the restaurants and cafes over the next few days. Almost like a badge, a way of identifying others sharing the experience.

When I took the seat that would be mine for the next few days, I looked around. There was a family next to me, who, for some reason missed Henry VI Part 2, and the first half of Richard III (!!), and couples in front and behind. Later in the run, the woman in front commented, ‘I feel like this seat belongs to me now’, ‘well, for the price we’ve paid, perhaps it should’, I replied.

The set for all the productions remained the same. A rusty metal backdrop, in keeping with the ‘shed’, which could be both ‘hell mouth’ for entrances and exits, and balcony. The productions used the whole space, however – truly 3-D theatre, with ropes and trapezes, and even picture frames for the actors to descend on and in, often to stunning effect.

So, it was finally time to 'stiffen the sinews' and 'summon up the blood', for it was all about to begin.

*well, not quite all the histories, just the two tetralogies - no King John, or (dammit) Henry VIII, which means I have yet to complete the cycle

**599 of us, so Michael Boyd tells us on Sunday.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home