Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, July 10, 2006

It's a Mystery - chosen children and cursed caitiffs

Yesterday I went to see the Wagon Plays* in York. These are the medieval Mystery Play Cycle, and every few years** the city mounts either a full scale production or a small scale version on wagons in the streets of the city. The wagon plays are actually the more authentic version, as this is how they were originally presented.

This year it was the turn of the wagons, and a number of City Guilds and local groups each presented one of the plays, from The Creation through to The Last Judgement. You get a slightly different selection of plays each time, but the core elements of the story are always there – The Creation, Adam and Eve, The Crucifixion, The Resurrection and The Last Judgement. This time we also had the Entry into Jerusalem, (which made me want to launch into ‘Hosanna’), and the Harrowing of Hell along with curiosities like Christ and the Doctors in the Temple (pretty dull). I was sorry that there was no ‘Noah’s Ark’ this time though, as I always think of that as ‘my’ play.

We watched them at a couple of stations, and missed a few of the plays – it’s a long stand if you are going to watch them all. I missed the crucifixion, but then I think I’ve seen enough of those in the last year or so to last me for a while. Some were definitely better than others, some told the story straight, whilst others, with the benefit of better actors*** and direction were very inventive and great fun.

The best ones were Adam and Eve, with a cynical female God, who herself munched on the apple as she looked down on Adam and Eve cast out from Paradise, The Entry into Jerusalem (fun with a wooden donkey, and for ‘Jerusalem’ read the gates of York), and The Descent of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, performed by a young and enthusiastic cast complete with balloons, confetti bombs and throwing of pots (literally) – well, it was the Potter’s Play. Some moments were unexpectedly moving, such as the rapturous welcoming of Jesus into the city, by the mob who would turn against him a few days later.

The impact of the language always strikes me – difficult to read, yet easy to understand when spoken, with great alliteration and a rhythm and energy that feels very modern. They weren’t meant to be read but were the secular version of the story, by the people of the town. The character of Jesus in many of the plays has a sense of humour, though I’m not sure they’d ever have seen the resurrected Christ as a council workman complete with Hi-Viz jacket.


*You know one of these days I am going to have to learn how to do links, so that I don’t have to explain this

**the ‘full’ version used to be produced every 4 years, but the last ones were in 2000, and because of finances it seems the next ones aren’t likely to be until 2010, and don’t even start me on this, as I’m like to go into a rant.

*** when I criticised some of the acting I was told ‘It’s not the RSC you know’. And I know it’s not, but as a Theatre Snob, I’m afraid I can’t ignore it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home