Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Saturday, December 31, 2011

In which I admit I don't like Roald Dahl

As is the way of things, Corinne and I are sitting in a pub in York, talking about theatre productions we've seen recently (in her case, the Donmar Richard II, and in mine A Christmas Carol, performed in a room of the pub we happen to be in).

We also talk about things we'd like to see. Henry V next year at the Globe, Timon of Athens at the National for her (ticking another play off the 'list'). For me, Jerusalem, despite my long standing issues with Mark Rylance.

'And there's also 'Matilda'. It's had fabulous reviews, and everyone who I know who's seen it has raved about it. But, it's full of children, and it's Roald Dahl. I really don't like Roald Dahl, I find his stories quite grotesque'.

I also point out that he came along too late for me, but then I know that the child 'me' would have wanted faries and princesses, not his rather bizarre take on the world.

'Ok, so possibly not the best choice for you then'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home